If you are local to Atlanta, I'm sure you've heard about the city's budget shortfall. As a result of this shortfall, my husband's life is, to a degree, more endangered in an already dangerous job. Minimum staff fire crews are not the safest, and that is what the city is resorting to. Last week, I sent Shirley Franklin an email expressing my concerns. I was certain that I would not hear back from her at all, but I was very impressed when I did. Below is our correspondence.
From me:
Dear Ms. Franklin,
I urge you to reconsider the recently announced furlough as it relates to public safety figures. After hearing public statements from fire and police personnel, it is clear that you are putting these noble men and women who choose to protect and serve our communities at grave risk. As the wife of one of those firefighters who depends on him to return home safely after each shift, I again oppose any reduced work hours that may put him or his fellow firefighters at risk, and I implore you to reconsider this decision.
I have voted for only democrats since I was first registered to vote at the age of 18 beginning with the Clinton/Gore ticket in 1996. What has driven me to support the democratic ticket is their desire to look after working class Americans. While I understand that you must push initiatives that encourage growth and improvement in Atlanta such as the Beltway, now is the time to protect Atlanta in its current state and it's employees rather than look to expand the city in a capacity which the it can not support.
My husband proudly and bravely serves in Atlanta even though after 6 years he is much lower paid that many of his friends that work in other counties and departments. Please do not make this a choice that he and our family will regret. Please protect our family as he protects your community each day when he goes to work by reversing your decision to furlough public safety personnel.
With best regards,
Sandi Purinton
Ms. Franklin's response:
I agree any cut back in public safety is unacceptable. That is precisely why I recommended a modest property tax increase to increase the city’s budget flexibility. The Council unanimously declined the proposal and left me to cut over $14 million from the budget in July. I made those cuts reducing some police vacancies but without other cuts to APD. Now the recession and rapidly falling revenues (12% in the first quarter) make it necessary to use $12 million from reserves, to institute a hiring freeze and to impose furloughs. Under separate cover I will send the report I made to Council last week. Otherwise, the city cannot operate in the black which would threaten our bond rating and the financial viability of the city for years to come. There are no easy answers in this case. I opted to be unpopular by proposing a modest tax increase dedicated to public safety to save the city from some of this pain. Without a turnaround in the economy or a federal “rescue/investment for cities” our situation only gets worse. As we start working on the FY 2010 budget to be adopted by the Council in June 2009 I hope the Council will hear from folks who want continued investment in public safety.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. SF
No comments:
Post a Comment