Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Eve

As has been our tradition since we've been together (and when Jared wasn't working), we spent New Year's Eve with the Corns.  It was a tappas party.  Salmon chips, cheese and crackers, home made Krystals, and, something Jared and I were excited to share with the Corns, steamed oysters!  The Richardsons (Jared's family) steams 2 bushels of oysters every year at their Christmas get together.  I absolutely LOVE this ritual.  Everyone gathers around the shucking table, beer and shucker in hand, shooting the sh*t, shucking and eating oysters.  It is so much fun.  After attending one of these events, I knew I needed to marry Jared.  You just don't meet that many oyster loving families where I'm from.  All in all, it turned out to be a success at the Corns.  Eli certainly won the Jr. Shucker award.  He loved shucking and gobbling up the oysters.  He even found two pearls!

After the babies went to bed, the menfolk (Jamie and Jared) built a fire, and we went out and gobbled up roasted marshmellows and sat by the campfire (while GranJill snored the night away on the couch).  We made it upstairs just in time to toast in the new year with each other and Dick Clarke.  It was a great night with great friends.



Homebrew - yum!


 Uh-oh...
 Here....
 come....
 THE OYSTERS!!!




 Spitting the pearls into Mom's hand


 My mom letting me try my new lens on her.

The next day we feasted...and then napped...and then went home.  We had ham and collards, ham and cabbage, black eyed peas, macaroni and cheese and sweet tea.  It was delish!  One last day of gluttony before diets commence.



No comments: