Friday, October 2, 2009

Stripping the Membranes


So, when we went to the doctor today, I was dilated 2 cm and effaced at 85%. The midwife felt the baby's head, and he was ready to go. She said that I was looking pretty "ripe" and that I likely wouldn't go past my due date. She asked if I wanted her to "strip my membranes." She said it could kick start labor. I asked Jared if it was ok with him, and it was, so we went for it. My membranes have been stripped. It was pretty uncomfortable. She said that if it was going to jump start labor, it would likely happen in the next 48 hours or so.

Stripping or sweeping the membranes. If your cervix is already somewhat dilated and there's no urgent reason to induce, your practitioner can insert her finger through the cervix and manually separate your amniotic sac from the lower part of your uterus. This causes the release of prostaglandins, which may help further ripen your cervix and possibly get contractions going.

We followed up our visit with a trip to Scalini's which promises a onesie and $25 gift card if you have your baby w/i 48 hours of having their eggplant parm.

I woke up at 1:15 unable to sleep through my contractions. I took a hot bath during which the contractions were 4-8 minutes a part. It's now 6:00 a.m. and they are averaging 5-8 minutes a part but more intense. We're gonna hold out here a little longer before heading to the hospital. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Good luck! All three of you are in my prayers. THREE!!!