Today, Parker received a diploma from the lactation center at South Cobb Hospital! When we first arrived home from the hospital, our little bundle of joy when from just that to a screaming, unhappy baby. He would not sleep unless he was being held. We took turns/shifts in the middle of the night sitting up with him in the recliner while the other slept.
Tuesday, we took him to the pediatrician to discover that his weight was down to 5 lbs 5 oz. Very worrisome. My milk still had not come in so the pediatrician wanted us to supplement his feedings with formula. I was devastated, but I knew that he'd lost too much weight, so I was open to it. I asked if there was a way that we could feed him formula w/o a bottle. She told us that there was a feeding tube we could pick up from the lactation center at the hospital.
We went to the lactation center to be told that they didn't just give out the tube feeding systems that you needed to be taught to use them through an appointment. I asked when the soonest appointment was and was told it would be Thursday. I fell apart and begin to cry saying that my baby had already lost too much weight, and I was supposed to start supplementing him that night and that I couldn't wait until Thursday. The lactation consultant on duty, Adrienne (also known as lifesaver) took us back to a room and promised she would make a plan for us for that night and would try to see me the following day. She taught us how to finger food and found out that one of her Wednesday appts canceled. She sent us home with a plan for the night for which we were very thankful.
That night Parker's feedings took up to an hour and a half to complete. After he fed from each breast, we had to feed him an additional half ounce via a feeding tube. However, it was worth it the next day when we saw that his weight was already up! She taught us to supplement using the feeding tube at my breast, and she asked us to come back in on Friday for a weight check. She couldn't be there, so she introduced us to the consultant who would be in that day, Shannon.
Friday, his weight was up even more. He was almost back to birth weight. He registered at a little over 6 lbs. Shannon determined that we no longer needed to supplement with formula and that we would come by for a weight check again the following Tuesday.
Yesterday, we went in for our final weight check. Parker weighed 6 lbs, 9 oz! Both lactation consultants were there, and they both cheered for us! They seemed almost as excited as we were by Parker's progress! Adrienne discussed a pacifier with me along with when I should begin to pump. Now, Parker is no longer on strict every 2 hour feedings. He feeds "on demand" which gave us a little more sleep last night. What a big hump to get over. I am glad we did successfully and with me still breastfeeding!
1 comment:
Already the little achiever! His first diploma!
Post a Comment